If, as they say, proximity to shopping is one of the key amenities that influences real estate, GTA homebuyers will be dancing in the aisles for years to come thanks to these shopping centre expansions.
At least four major retail centres are undergoing major expansions totaling more than $1 billion, with the first of them wrapping up this week.
And it’s not just about shopping, as retailers are expanding with features designed to heighten the consumer experience.
Ivanhoe Cambridge’s $87-million expansion at Vaughan Mills Shopping Centre comprises a 200,000-sq.-ft. project on the east side of the property, featuring a first-to-market dynamic Event Court, a futuristic Digital Lounge and an entertaining Sport Neighbourhood. Oh, as well as 50 new retail concepts.
The expansion includes an innovative and contemporary setting with the Event Court featuring custom lighting and lounge seating. With 37-ft. ceilings and a seating capacity for about 50 people in soft, comfortable seats, the space can accommodate special events, live entertainment programs including fashion shows and celebrity appearances.
For sports enthusiasts, the expansion includes a Sports Court where consumers can catch televised sporting events on 12 large format television screens.
Loaded with state-of-the-art technology, a fully Wi-Fi-connected Digital Lounge features full interactive capabilities, such as touch and gesture. To complement the shopping ambience, the Digital Lounge offers a fully connected experience – phone-charging outlets, gaming stations, “experience stations” and a live feed of Vaughan Mills’ social media.
Meanwhile, in other aisles in GTA shopping centres…
- Is undergoing a $350-million expansion to add 210,000 sq. ft. of retail space, bringing the total to 1.3 million sq. ft. and 245 stores
- Includes four new full service restaurants, each with a unique dining experience
- New, large stores for Harry Rosen and Sporting Life
- Saks Fifth Avenue, opening in 2016
- Nordstrom, opening in 2017
- Is undergoing a $331-million expansion, to be completed in fall 2016
- Includes 298,000 sq. ft. of new retail space
- Is undergoing a $320-million expansion, to be completed in spring 2016
- Includes a new 120,000-sq.-ft. Holt Renfrew
- Also features another 75,000 sq.-ft. of space for additional retailers
For more about these shopping centres, and what they mean to the neighbourhoods they’re located in, read: